These turned out surprisingly well! Since I'm super lazy, I took the easier route and just bought 2 packages of pre-made biscuit dough, but if you're "fancy", then you can make the dough yourself. I figure, why bother when Pillsbury has already done it for me? It helps keep the economy going!
I used Blue Cheese for half of them and Gorgonzola for the other half because I heart me some Gorgonzola and they turned out delicious as well.
Hooray for Buffalo Chicken Biscuits!!
For the Filling:
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1/3 cups Hot Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/3 cups Blue Cheese (or Gorgonzola), crumbled
For the biscuits:
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 1/3 cup milk
- 2/3 cup Blue Cheese (crumbled)
- 2 10-Biscuit packs of Pillsbury biscuit dough
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- For filling:In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine chicken, hot sauce and butter. Set aside.
- For the biscuits:In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening until the mixture resembles peas. Add milk and blue cheese and stir until the mixture comes together into a ball.
- Knead for a few minutes and then use your hands and pat the dough down to a ½” thickness. Using a 2″ or larger cutter (I use a small jelly jar), cut the dough into circles and arrange half of the circles on a baking sheet.
- Scoop 1 tablespoon of the chicken mixture into the center of the dough circle. Place a small chunk of blue cheese on top of the chicken mixture. Moisten the edge of the dough with a little bit of water and top with another circle of dough. Pinch edges to seal.
- Bake at 400ºF for 12-15 minutes.
- Once baked, you can store these in the fridge for a few days and reheat them in the oven when needed. They also freeze well.
- Take one piece of biscuit dough, scoop a spoonful of the chicken mixture onto the middle
- Place a second piece of biscuit dough on top of the filling and press the ends together.